Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Jane Austen Heroes and thier MLP counterparts

     The above title might seem a strange one to see on this blog. Well, any blog. BUT! I suppose I am a girl of contradictions because I ardently love Austen's works, but I also happen to like My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic. The former seems to be meant for the educated, cultured, and those of good taste. 
     As Henry Tilney so eloquently put it in Northanger Abbey, "A person, be it a gentleman or a lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid."
      Though some may argue that MLP:FIM is a "kid's t.v. show", many episodes deal with everyday problems that all can relate to, not just kids, and some episodes (Esp. the Season Four two part finale) are quite epic. Anyway, that's another thing altogether.
     So, this entry is to deal with comparing our beloved gentlemen with the cute ponies of Equestria (More specifically, Ponyville)

First up! Mr. Darcy (*insert swoon and "oohhs" and "awws"*)

I believe that selfless and giving Fitzwillaim Darcy is much like Rarity. If you have ever watched My Little Pony, then you will know that Rarity is a very generous pony. Giving of her means, and even sacrificing some of her beauty (As seen in the first two episodes of MLP:FIM), to help others; without even a second thought.

Next; Mr. Tilney, my personal favorite Austen Hero

Henry Tilney is a witty and playful man and I think that Pinkie Pie is a bit like him. (Tilney came first, of course) Pinkie is no doubt more loud, boisterous, etc. than Tilney (at least publicly), but they both share a love for laughter, puns/witticisms, and happiness. I know that while reading N.A. I laughed quite a few times when Tilney flirted with Catherine Morland. :)

Captain Wentworth! My sister's favorite Austen Hero.

When I ventured to the subject of combining MLP with Austen's works, I likened Raindow Dash to Capt. Wentworth in a heartbeat. Rainbow's element is loyalty, and I don't know about you, but I think Capt. Wentworth really exhibits that quality, what with loving Anne and waiting for her despite not knowing if she still loved him or not. Also, I think that the way he acts towards/in reaction to Anne's family (the rude/uncivilized/snobbish bunch they are) shows that he loves Anne so much that he's willing to put up with them. :)

Alright! In the fourth place, we have Edward Ferrars, Eleanor’s sweetheart. (Side note: every time I type Eleanor I want to follow with Rigby)

We all know that dearest Edward is a shy one. Nonetheless, he eventually overcomes, not completely mind you, that shyness because he loves Eleanor and her family and wants to show her as much. Fluttershy, the (seemingly) timid and shy pony, is like Edward. Not just because of her quietness, but because of her kind, sharing, and gentle attitude. Maybe it's just because of Hugh Grant's portrayal of the aspiring clergyman, but I think that Fluttershy and Ferrars are one and the same.

Mansfield Park's Hero is next; AKA Edmund Bertrem

This one was a bit of a toughie. But, the more I thought of it, the more I realized how hardworking and honest Edmund truly is. Despite conflicts and oppression, ranging from the pernicious Mary Crawford, to his parents' greater expectations of him, to Tom's illness (the list goes on, I think), Edmund worked at achieving the career he wanted and winning the love of Fanny Price (the cousin he always loved, it seems). Apple Jack is a hard worker and an honest pony to boot, showing that she is worthy of being compared to Patient, Hardworking, and Honest Edmund Bertrem.

Lastly, but not least (that's for sure), is Mr. Knightly.

Those of you who are "bronies" (or the like) probably know that the only pony (of the Mane Six, at least) left to compare Jane Austen's heroes is Twilight Sparkle. Yes, I know Knightley isn't "magical", but Twlight's element isn't just magic. It's really friendship. Knightly's friendship, guidance, and wisdom towards Emma made her the Heroine thatshe is. He reprimanded her when he needed to, was always there for her (albeit she viewed him as an older brother for quite some time), and cultivated friendships and good relationships with other people (even those that were "below" him.)

So, a thought to leave you with! (As I try to do at the end of my entries). Pick one Austen hero (preferably one whose quality you wish to acquire or that you need to work on), and read the book that he is in. Or, if you're busy, not much of a reader, etc., Sparknotes it. I might be biased, being a Janenite and all, but if you take the time to read the book, you'll get the full sense of what that Hero is like. And you might even discover that you like Austen's books!

Have a good day, and keep smiling.
:)

*credit for picture* modernjaneausten.com




No comments:

Post a Comment